Saturday, September 11, 2010

Roads of Gold

So, I'm pretty excited about this.

The idea behind this piece was to create a situation that would, in effect, cause the printing plate to be engraved without me having to make a single mark. The scenario I exposed the plate to would do all the work for me.

In addition, I didn't want the plate to simply lay there and be engraved.  I wanted it to play a role in it's own transformation as an active participant in the process; not just a silent recipient.  It was important to me that the plate play a kinetic role, and keep moving throughout the procedure.

This is what I came up with:


What you are looking at is the plate, covered in asphaltum (which will protect the un-scratched parts of the plate from being etched in the acid bath that comes in later), which is now attached to a turntable spinning at 33 rpm.  Opposite the plate, a long, thin needle is fixed to the cone of a large speaker.  Specific parts of specific, meaningful songs are played through the speaker, and the resulting vibrations the sound waves create push the needle back and forth (similar to a tattoo machine).

The needle scrapes away the asphaltum as the plate turns so that when the plate is later submerged in an acid bath, the acid will etch the plate where there is no protection. The parts that remain unscratched with not be etched. This creates the plate from which the final image will ultimately be printed.

The two songs "Roads" and "Fields of Gold" create a larger circle and a smaller circle, respectively. The two songs hold important value to me, as they have played roles in significant moments of my life. I interpret the images printed from this plate as a visual and conceptual representation of my memories and feelings.

I'm happy with the plate, but now it's time to print it! Pictures of the print are impending...


Update: Here is the final print.

2 comments:

  1. This is wild! Take a look at Tom Marioni's circle drawings on You tube. What's happening with the number 7 in the top right corner?

    Sam

    ReplyDelete